DSES Volunteers make outdoor recreation a fun, exciting reality for kids and adults with disabilities. Teaching adaptive lessons, supporting events and fundraisers, or helping in the office, DSES volunteers change lives. Thank you for giving your time to our students and our mission.
All volunteers are required to complete training every season. Reservations are required. Please call the office at 760.934.0791 to sign-up.
For all training days, please bring lunch, water, sunscreen, appropriate weather gear, and appropriate equipment.
Our training days are typically scheduled as follows (subject to change):
Day 1 – Required for all NEW volunteer instructors, the first day of training will be mostly outside and focus on assessing the abilities of prospective volunteer instructors. Please come dressed in your gear with your equipment in hand. Returning volunteers do not need to attend Day 1.
Day 2 – Begins with training of Policies & Procedures, where we will discuss the Volunteer Manual as well as important updates pertaining to DSES and MMSA. The afternoon portion will be outside developing teaching techniques.
Day 3 – Entirely outside, the last day of training will be an additional day of training teaching techniques.
The following forms must be completed before volunteering with Disabled Sports Eastern Sierra. We strongly encourage you to complete the volunteer application online. You can also download the Acrobat PDF file and print a copy to fill out or call the DSES office 760.934.0791 to have the forms mailed to you.
- Volunteer Application On-Line Electronic Form «« Please use this form if you can.
Alternatively Volunteer Application Form – 2018-2019 PDF
- Background Screening On-Line Electronic Form – Complete these steps:
- Step 1 Enter the DSES Self registration ID number: 64411520
- Step 2 Enter your information as requested
- Step 3 Provide legal authorization and certification
It is important that you enter your full legal name as written on your birth certificate or driver’s license. Verify that your social security number and date of birth are accurate. Using nicknames or failing to type correct information may delay your screening and could incur additional fees.
- DSES Liability Release and Assumption of Risk Form PDF
- DSUSA /DSES Liability Release Form (PDF)
Other Essential Resources
- 2019-2020 WINTER INSTRUCTOR MANUAL
- EdPuzzle E-Learning
- Copy and Paste class code: ugezotl
- Nordic Instructor Manual
- Nordic Sit Ski Instructor Manual
- Online 2019-2020 Nordic Instructor Quiz
- 2019-2020 Nordic Lesson Progress Notes Online Electronic Form
- 2019 Summer Instructor Manual
- 2019 Summer Instructor Quiz
- 2019 Summer Lesson Progress Notes Online Electronic Form
Disabled Sports USA is proud to present a US Cycling endorsed, Adaptive Cycling Instructors Manual. This manual is made possible by author David Lee (Northeast Passage), The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and contributors Pat Addabbo (Oregon Adaptive Sports), Greg Milano (BORP Adaptive Sports), Connor Inslee (Outdoors for All), Scott Moro (Ride 2 Recovery), Rob Mueller (Disabled Sports USA) and Ian Lawless (US Paralympics).
This program was funded in part by a grant from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs. The opinions, findings and conclusions states herein are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect those of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs.