DSES Volunteers make outdoor recreation a fun, exciting reality for kids and adults with disabilities. Teaching adaptive lessons, supporting events and fundraisers, or helping in the office, DSES volunteers change lives. Thank you for giving your time to our students and our mission. We welcome your participation and eagerly look forward to a fun-filled and rewarding time for all!
Ways to Volunteer with DSES
DSES offers camps, programs and lessons year-round! During the summer season, our instruction includes paddleboarding, kayaking, road cycling, mountain biking, hiking, and more. During the winter season, our instruction moves into alpine and nordic skiing and snowboarding.
- Be 14 years of age or older.
- Pass a background check annually.
- Complete Safe Sport training (if 18 years or older).
- Complete in-person training in the discipline you will be teaching; requirements vary by sport.
- Have your own equipment for the sport you are teaching (for paddling we have boats available, but you are encouraged to bring your own if you have one).
Sport Specific Requirements:
- Adventure center – comfort at heights while in harness.
- Alpine skiing – comfort making linked turns on intermediate terrain.
- Hiking – comfort and knowledge on the local trails.
- Mountain biking – comfort riding intermediate mountain bike trails at a consistent pace.
- Nordic skiing – comfort classic skiing on intermediate terrain.
- Paddling – comfort on and in the water, strong swimming skills, strong paddling skills.
- Road cycling – comfort riding on the bike paths and roads in town while shifting and braking appropriately.
- Rock climbing – prior experience beneficial but not necessary; you will need to pass a belay training before belaying participants.
There are many opportunities to volunteer with DSES outside of lessons. DSES is involved in a variety of community outreach events and volunteers are vital to representing the adaptive recreation mission throughout the year. This may involve volunteering for an event DSES hosts, and helping with set up, clean up, and logistics during the event. This may also involve volunteering at other events hosted by various organizations and representing DSES while you are there.
These events include:
- Sierra Cycle Challenge – summer fundraiser
- Margarita Festival
- Fourth of July Parade
- OCR World Championship Races – new this year!
- Extravaganza – our largest fundraiser of the year held each December
Your help is wanted helping raise funds for athletes! You can also volunteer for these events along with being a volunteer instructor.
We are asking for assistance in the office this summer – answering phones, greeting guests, and assisting anyone who visits.
Please contact Barb at BBemis@DisabledSportsEasternSierra.Org or 760.934.0791 if you are interested!
All proceeds support outdoor adventure and allow our students to get valuable work experience as well. Help the Second Chance Thrift Shop by volunteering today!
We need your help with cooking for some of our camps and events! For some of our winter and summer events, we ask individuals to make appetizers, desserts, and other dishes for the participants and volunteers.
If you are interested in cooking, please contact Barb at BBemis@DisabledSportsEasternSierra.Org.
Summer Instructor Start Up Training Dates
A full day of outdoor training.
A full day of outdoor training.
Policies and Procedures:
All instructors and office volunteers should attend one of the following indoor trainings. They will be from 4 – 6pm, location TBD.